Go with the flow

Nags Head 10/2010

As anyone who I’ve talked to over the past few months knows, I am planning a move to the west coast next summer.  I always love visiting California and I figure why not, all of my family is on the east coast and I have lots of friends but what was keeping me from making a big move.  I can always travel back and forth.  I mean I live on the east coast and travel back and forth to the west coast so why not the other way around.  My best friend, Christine, is in Cali and I have a bunch of other friends there, the weather is almost always nice and maybe my allergies will take a hike.  I can’t think of any reason not to move…until now.  I met someone and although its only been a short time, I am rethinking my big ‘plans’.

I’m not making any major decisions to stay or go based on this new relationship but it is giving me reason to stop planning too far ahead.  It is reminding me once again to live in the present moment.

This has all taken me a bit by surprise even though it really shouldn’t.  While I was at the beach last month, I took some time to write down all the qualities I am looking for in a partner, mate, significant other and I just somehow knew that he would find me.  I wouldn’t have to go on a dating site or anything, we would meet when it was right.  Less that a week later, I met someone in a very unlikely way, when I wasn’t looking, who possesses all of these qualities.  Now I’m not saying we’re going to spend the rest of our lives together, I honestly don’t know where this is going, but I do know that I want to stay in the present and enjoy each moment and see where this relationship goes.

As I sit at Christine’s kitchen table, writing this post, the sun is shining in sunny CA, a little chocolate lab named Tilda has her paw on my foot as she sleeps and I think that I could easily live here and get to spend more time with my BFF (and Tilda too).  But for now, I am going to enjoy my visit and not worry about what the future holds.  As several people have told me, California will always be there.

Not to say I won’t make any plans…I need to be flexible and go with the flow because you just never know what life has in store for you.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Go with the flow

you’ll know what’s right for you when it’s the right time. I’ll love you, either way. 🙂

And good for you – I’m so happy you are seeing someone! You are so awesome – of course the right guy would find you.

(I might have to make one of those lists for myself. ) ❤

2. Liz says:

you made me smile this morning…

3. Jolie says:

Love this. Love you.

4. Sam says:

That’s amazing, Melissa! Squam has a special magic, obviously…and you know, like you said, California will always be there. And if things don’t turn out to be worth staying for, you have somewhere to go and make a fresh start. And you won’t be running away, because you wanted to go there, well, forever! You’ve got good choices on either side of the spectrum.

5. julie says:

Melissa, you just ROCK. So happy for you.

i know i have a vested interest in you staying on the east coast….but i am so happy for you either way, and going with the flow feels sooooooo good… xoxo

7. stef says:

love you, and thank you for this reminder…we all needed this!

xoxo

8. Grace says:

Hmmmmm…..

9. Patty Cunniff says:

I was so excited for you when you told me you were just going to DoIt…take the step and make the move to the west coast to see what life has in store for you there. NOW!!! I am just as excited to see what life has in store for you here!! I love you sooo and want you to enjoy every moment.

“When I wasn’t looking…”

Isn’t that always how it happens?

I love you so much, and always want what holds you most beautifully in the moment.

P.S. Your new BFF Tilda, however, will be most displeased.

12. Me says:

In a world that has been turned upside down and made little sense in the past year, you bring a clarity and meaning that has been missing for so long. Instead of asking God to give me the strength to get through the day, now I spend that time thanking Him for you. You have been a blessing to me, an angel who restores my faith and brightens every day by simply being you. I’m not going to question why this random act of good fortune has occurred, I’m just going to enjoy every minute of it, for as long as it lasts. Make no mistake about it SSSM, I appreciate you and cherish every minute with you. Like I said before, I have known and cared about you all of my life, it just took me 44 years to find you 🙂

13. mccabe says:

and

🙂

14. Karen D says:

What a great reminder about staying present in the moment 😉

15. kerry says:

Stay in the present. Sounds like a new window has opened and you need to
    just go with the flow…………….Enjoy each day and you know what is best for you……

how exciting is this! My heart is smiling for you. Living in the present moment is exactly the way to live. Because you never know what the future holds and right here, right now, is the most beautiful moments of living. Soak in each day. California isn’t going anywhere. And you always hope on a plane and visit.