Aspirations

I used to have to set goals in my previous job (which I always put off) but I’ve never been fond of setting them in my personal life.  For some reason, this year I want to write down my ‘goals’ for the year.  So I looked up ‘goals’ and the synonyms in the dictionary, I choose to call them Aspirations instead.  Goals sound so corporate to me.  Aspirations sound more dreamy and artsy.

My Aspirations for 2011

• buy a house
  • finish my pilates training (600 hours is alot)
  • buy a Canned Ham
  • create something, anything, every week (every day is just too ambitious for me)
  • write the book on sibling grief (this one is going to be hard)
  • try, try, try to stay present (this one may be harder than the book)
  • read all the books on my nightstand (The Artist’s Way, life is a verb, The Shadow Effect, Anam Cara, To Bless the Space Between Us, and Women Who Run with the Wolves) a bit of light reading don’t ya think?
  • send more snail mail
  • spend more time by the Sea

This is not a ‘must do’ list, so I’m sure it will evolve over the year, some things getting done, others being pushed back or changed, new things added and some of them removed.  An ever evolving list of aspirations.

If you have a list of aspirations, goals, dreams….whatever you choose to call them….please feel free to share them here.

~~~~~~~

Since everyone is questioning canned ham…here is a canned ham…http://cosprings.craigslist.org/rvs/2114485676.html

This entry was posted in Aspirations, Life Lessons, Word for the Year. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Aspirations

1. kelly barton says:

no. 3 – canned ham? what up.
    i have been sending more snail mail. wanted to do that last and just didnt.
    each week i am trying to send out a few cards.

i like aspirations way more. the other – too stuffy.

2. buckuplittlecamper says:

A canned ham? Really? Too funny!!

We’ll be reading John O’Donohue together in our canned ham. 🙂

4. Not to jump on the canned ham bandwagon here, but canned ham? For realz? Love this list and as for the snuggling mentioned elsewhere, oh yes. we’ll be snuggling soon in NYC! Where you will also be reading a book from your nightstand, going on some artist’s dates, and sending snail mail postcards! Look at you go, 2011~

5. Patty Cunniff says:

I’ve got to ask too…Canned Ham?

6. Kate Piccola says:

yes im creeping on your blog, and im not going to lie, i was quite disappointed at what a canned ham was. i thought you wanted to buy ham, in a can…. disappointment. but anyways, this was really cute. i like your list of goals! i recently started making my bucket list for a school project, and for some reason this kind of reminded me of that? but anyways, im sure you’ll achieve whatever you put your mind to. you can do it sis!

Love this! I’m with Kate. I was picturing you studding the ham with cloves 🙂

8. I really hope you write that book on sibling grief Melissa, I think it is a way overlooked issue that exists out there. I know there was or are very few resources for me on that subject…

And now that I know what a canned ham is…those are pretty sweet!! I’m still holding out hope to get an airstream… 🙂

I love that you put this out to the universe.

10. Scott Piccola says: