Reclaiming my Birthday

22 years ago, my brother John died a week before my 22nd birthday (I don’t say that to garner sympathy, its just a fact).  I barely remember that birthday.  I seem to remember a small cake down at the beach but that’s about it.  A few years later I was given a surprise party for my 25th then again for my 30th.  My birthday tends to fall around Memorial Day so I’ve spent many years at the beach sharing with the holiday.  On my 40th, I had to share a party with my brother and sister as they graduated from high school and middle school respectively.  I was happy to be part of the festivities but hey I was turning 40!  Then last year, well last year was spent in the ICU waiting room.  I enjoyed a lovely lunch with my stepmom and two brothers for which I am grateful but we still had a shadow hanging over us.

So this year, 22 years after the worst birthday EVER, I am hijacking a day in the middle of my sister’s graduation weekend (thanks Sis!) and throwing myself a little party.

44 feels like its going to be a memorable year for me so why not kick it off with a little soiree…and I do mean little so sorry if you weren’t invited.  Although party crashers are always welcome!

Yes this post is a little self-serving but blogs are allowed to be, right?!?

And Happy Birthday to all my Gemini friends….Jenica, Phil, Trish, Beth, Ka-Le (although you’re on the cusp)….and to anyone else I forgot.  Hope this year is a memorable one for you too!

This entry was posted in Life Lessons, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Reclaiming my Birthday

1. simplytrece says:

You have a splendiferous time! The first birthday party I was to have was for my 12th birthday. My friends from school were all coming, because it was a Saturday. Unfortunately, President Kennedy was assassinated the day before, so I GET what you’re saying. I mostly shared mine with either my dad (2 days later) or Thanksgiving – sometimes the very same day.
    You are a Phenomenal Woman and I hope this next year is your best ever!!

2. Trish says:

I too hope that this is your best birthday ever. Ninette was just here reminiscing about the Dewey birthday weekends with me, you, her and John D. My 44th will be spent chaperoning the 5th grade overnight field trip to Williamsburg. If I am lucky, Mom will drive over to the hotel with a cake. So, I will live vicariously through you this year. Happy Birthday!

3. Patty says:

Although I know the date of your birth it never dawned on me that is was so close to the day that John died. Rest assured he would want you to celebrate to the fullest!!! To this day I always wished I had stayed VA and changed the day David and I got married.

4. tricia says:

Good for you! My birthday is 2 days after Christmas, yep, December 27th. SO…needless to say it has gotten overlooked quite a lot in my life. In the past I have received one card/gift that says Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday and more often no gifts/cards for my birthday at all. I had one birthday party as a child. Stinks. People are usually too busy to remember or they have exhausted all their money/shopping on Christmas then comes New Years. Birthdays should be special. It’s YOUR day and I am happy you are reclaiming it. My hubby of 5 years understands this and always makes sure my birthday is never celebrated in combination with anything else any more. It’s nice to have that special day for myself and I don’t think it’s selfish at all. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ♥

5. you know i lurve the tiara!!

6. Roseann says:

You have a blast girl!

I hope you had an awesome day! I wish I could have been there with you…

good for you for taking control of your birthday and throwing yourself a celebration. You deserve it!

I hope you enjoyed your day. Happy birthday!

I love you ~ Happy Happy Birthday!

10. Lisa says:

Happy Birthday! Keep it going and take the afternoon off, go read Bust under a shady tree, with an iced tea. (ps 44? really? you do not look it!)