Weighty Issues

Me, July 2005 at close to my heaviest weight

Its a bit difficult to post this picture above as it was taken 6 years ago at almost my heaviest weight (yes I was actually a little heavier than this).  I have always struggled with my weight which is why it was such a huge accomplishment to complete my Pilates training.

Today I had my annual physical and I have gained about 13 pounds over the last year and my cholesterol was a bit above normal.  I am not near my heaviest weight (or my highest cholesterol number), but still I need to lose the weight.  I’ve already got the exercise part pretty much down, the eating part is where I need to focus.  Working out and eating properly are the only way I will lose weight.

As soon as the doctor sat down with me today I knew what she was going to say.  She didn’t even have to say it, just gave me that look and said you know what you need to do.  I know exactly what I need to do, stop eating out so much and watch the bread and sugar.  Its easy in theory but man I love food so its difficult in practice.

At this point in my life, its not about fitting into a certain size, its about being healthy.  High blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes all run in my family so I know I need to be careful.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to post about my weight issues and that picture, oh my.  In posting about it, I’m opening myself up to criticism and judgements BUT by putting it out there I must now hold myself accountable to get back to a more healthy weight and lower my cholesterol.

I’m going to start a “detox” tomorrow and not one of those lemon water/starvation ones, I can eat real food but cut out bread, sugar, coffee, alcohol and red meat for a week.  Its a doable plan for me and I know if will kick start me to eating better.

I will be updating periodically here on my progress.  Not sure I’ll be posting pounds lost on a regular basis but we’ll see how the updates pan out.  And if anyone else out there needs a little nudge or support to get healthier, we can start our own little support group.

This entry was posted in Life Lessons, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Weighty Issues

1. TBM says:

Good luck! It is never easy to make changes.

2. You CAN do it! I’m sure of it.

3. Izzy says:

Right there with you my sister… I have recently found myself, medically, in need to urgent changes to my current body weight. It’s not easy. I’m not even sure how I got here. I just know that a change needs to be made. So, raise your glass of water and here’s to healthy happiness.

4. Karen D says:

You can do it and So can I, you are inspiring me here with this one.. I think I will join you as I have to lose about 60 pounds. I not only love food, but it is such an emotional comfort for me.
    I will be cheering you on.

xo
    Karen

You definately can do it!! I know I need to as well…

6. Grace says:

eff criticism and judgments! I think you just open yourself up to boat loads of love, support, encouragement and countless comrades. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

7. celisa says:

i surely need to do this!! heart disease is a huge issue for the women in my family. my mom and grandmother both had heart attacks before the age of 55….crazy. yes yes, reading this makes me remember i need to add more veggies to my diet again…among other things 🙂

love you! here’s to 2012 being a kickass healthy year!

8. LB says:

You can totally do this!!! I personally think you look great but I understand “health issues” (blah, blah, blah). Do it for you, whatever makes you comfortable. I support you 100%. Let me know how the detox goes….I might need one of those myself!

You know I love you exactly the way you are, and always want to support what feels best for YOU.

10. Hi Melissa. Sending you a big hug because I recognize the courage that it took for you to post this. “In posting about it, I’m opening myself up to criticism and judgements BUT by putting it out there I must now hold myself accountable to get back to a more healthy weight and lower my cholesterol.” That’s the beauty about life, we have no choice but to show up in order to live. Criticism and judgment are merely life’s way of letting us know that we’re alive and have feelings. I hope you feel and embrace the love wherever you are 🙂