The Pursuit of Healthfulness

Last week I wrote about my latest physical and the need to lose weight and lower my cholesterol.  I received lots of positive comments from you.  A few said I look fine just the way I am.  I appreciate the compliments and I don’t disagree with you.  I’m not unhappy with the way I look on the outside, but I am not happy with how I’ve been feeling physically on the inside.  I’ve been feeling sluggish and bloated and knew that I was not eating the right things for me.

One of my lovely friends, Karen, and I decided to team up and support each other, and any of you who want to join in, on our pursuit of healthfulness.  We will be posting once a week on our progress (or slip ups) and share any tips, recipes or other things that are working for us.

I can tell you a few things that seem to be working for me since I started last Wednesday.  I have stopped eating bread and sugar and I can already feel less bloating and a little more pep in my step.  Last night I had a holiday party and limited myself to one glass of wine and felt much better this morning for having done so.  I treated myself to a small slice of pizza at the party and immediately felt some bloating in my hands so I know to stay away from that.

I know that what I do to change my eating may not work for you, but one thing that will work for all of us is to listen to your body.  If you pay attention to how you feel after eating or drinking something, you’ll know what to avoid or what to eat more often.  That is my advice for today.

Now go check out Karen’s blog to see what she has to share.

This entry was posted in Health & Wellness, The Pursuit of Healthfulness, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Pursuit of Healthfulness

1. Izzy says:

Consider me “joined in”. =)

2. Karen D says:

looking forward to sharing this pursuit together with you and whomever else would like to join in. I think it can be so enpowering to share our stories, our trip ups and our triumphs. I too think listening to our bodies is key, it intuitively knows what’s good for it, now I just have to tune in to that.

xo
    Karen

Count me in!! I’m not doing full on Atkins this time (less meat) but definately cuttiing out the bread and other carbs.

4. Steph says:

I love this initiative Melissa. There’s so much power in teaming up with folks who have like-minded goals. You both brought this to the forefront of my psyche today, thank you.

Stephanie
    xo

5. Kelly Barton says:

i love that you are doing this. i really need to get on this too!

6. lisa says:

yay! i’m in. no to bread, yes to bikram.

7. Dia says:

I wanted to share a post from my friend Emily who went Gluten, Egg, dairy & soy free in Sept, after her daughter was diagnosed with Celiac (my friend had the genetic testing for Celiac & a panel that ID’d other foods she’s sensitive to) –
    “MEGA HAPPY DANCE!!! Just got my lab results. My triglycerides dropped 80 points and is now 118- Normal. My cholesterol dropped 30 points to 189- Normal. My LDL is Normal. My HDL is normal and up 3 points- I attribute this to my change of what I eat- No gluten, egg, soy and dairy. Minimal sugar. I eat lots of nuts, do fish oil, coconut oil and olive oil. Eating good organic healthy meat including bacon! Have also lost 10 pounds since July. Celebrating with this post and a bowl of butternut leek curry soup! Wooo hooooooooooo!!!!! Thanks Julie, Sherill and Nadya for inspiring me!!!!”
    I’ve been GF 2 1/2 years, & mostly Dairy free since fall – have limited sugar intake for years – I’ve lost some weight, rarely *need* naps any more, & the brain fog is pretty much at bay as well!! It’s fun to see ‘mainstream’ docs inc Cardiologists write books like ‘Wheat Belly,’ encouraging folks to nix the wheat (& limit other grains – GF if gluten is an issue) – he points out the exorphins are in Non-gluten portions of the grain – hence the addictive nature to many grains!

I whole heartedly support your move away from bread & sugar – here’s to your health!!!

I’ll join in! I’m working on this too, and it’s always nice to have company.

Glad you are taking care of yourself! Sure do love you! x

xo